Friday, September 19, 2008

My first day of ...


TEACHING?!?!?!?!

I help out in Gracie's class two days a week for a few hours. Usually, doing mindless activities. I don't mind; I like hanging out with the class and to see Gracie learn. It also helps me when we do her homework. 

Today, though, was different. I began my mindless work and Ms. Silva asked if I would be comfortable helping her with the students. Of course, I would be! 

Ms. Silva need to test a few students before the day ended. 

12:55 pm: Miss Amy takes over the class... 
yes, most of you would assume that the class went wild... but not yet. 

1:00 pm: Work on our words from only sounds. 
words: lip, nap, lap, tan

1:15 pm: Work with the students memorize their new keypad numbers for lunch. I would love  to think that the kids all memorized the numbers by my singing to them but I admit Ms. Silva
must have been working with them since most the kids already knew their numbers. 

1:20 pm: Oh, crap! Uh, the number thing didn't take to long.... MS. SILVA where are you?!?!?!?

1:21 pm: Read a story to the students on Baby Animals.

1:24 pm: That wasn't quite as long as I thought it would be...
Miss Amy: "What animals have you seen before?"
students: "Isawafrog,"Ihaveseenatigeratthezoowithmygrandma,"Babyturtrlesdon'thavemamas,"...
you get the point... everyone talking at once... 
Miss Amy: "okay, please raise your hand."

1:35 pm: That was  good for ten minutes

1:36 pm: MS. SILVA????? 

1:37 pm: Reading of another story to the students on the rug. This time they wanted a Skippy John Jones book. I am not that dumb! I am a total gringo. I grew up in Seattle. Mexican food to me is El Torito by the Southcenter Mall. I can barely say Hispanic last names let alone a Skippy John Jones book. If you haven't heard or read this book, I recommend my dad reading it to your children. Maybe I can get him to read it, video it and put it up on the blog... but it would end up on You Tube if I do that.... My dad can't even say Taos (as in Taos, NM the ski town) without butchering it! 
So a big fat NO on Skippy John Jones!
How about Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom! My kids love this one. However, I thought it was a DVD not a book. And have only heard it from the front of the suburban from the DVD player. 
Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom! is a rhyming book and I can't rhyme. So it wasn't so good but I improvised and made it work by letting the kids read/rhyme most of the book themselves. I think they have read it before. THANK GOODNESS!!!!

1:45 pm: RECESS anyone? 

1:46 pm: We still have work to do?

1:46 pm to 1:55 pm: CHAOS in the classroom! What work, isn't it Friday?

1:55 pm: Game rotation thingy. Three different activities for 3 groups the kids...

2:20 pm: Katie-Anne and Evan are back from Mommy's Day Out and now CHAOS has consumed the classroom! Evan is chasing the boys in the classroom with a part from one of the games. Finally, I catch the monster (my child)! I wonder if I can send a 2 year old to the principals office? HMM! I decided it wouldn't look good. I wouldn't want him to get labeled as the bad kid already.... he still has 4 years until he will be at SVP

2:21 to 3:00 pm: A TOTAL BLUR! Ms. Silva was done testing (thank goodness) and back in control. Since I had clearly lost control! 

For the record, Ms. Silva never left the classroom. 
Technically, I wasn't teaching but I can dream. 

5:30 pm to NOW: Get home from dinner and collapse from a crazy 1.5 hours! 

Blessings to all teachers! They are a gift...

Oh, did I mention I am coordinating the 1st annual SVP Walk-A-Thon. Be prepared for solicitation from our dear little Gracie. 

The Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally is in town this weekend! Imagine 4 billion bikers in a town of 9000! We are off the roads and out of the stores until Monday! Pictures and commentary from Todd on a later posting. 

Until next time.

Blessings,
Amy et al  

SORRY FOR THE LACK OF PICTURES. I AM TOO TIRED/LAZY TO GOOGLE SOME! 
I guess i could have taken some pics of our sleeping angels... 
next time...

No comments: